Sunday 7 August 2011

...to Bear Grylls: a family photo

Be Human !

I asked at the conference "How many people here promote themselves as much as their services ?"

I'm pleased to say that I got a better than expected response from delegates who were able to say that they have 10 customers that know their name or would recognise them if they met them ? And hands remained up when I extended that to 20 or 30.

The reason that library and information professionals will never fully be replaced by machines is precisely that fact that humans can still do some things machines can’t - we speak, we smile, we listen, and we empathise.

It’s free - and it’s priceless !


It's vital that we get out from behind the book stack or desktop and get known !

(I’ve lived in my house for over 10 years and have never once been contacted by my local library. Which makes it about on a par with my local MP....)

No comments:

Post a Comment